L4/Alpha palcodes

Daniel Potts danielp at cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue Jan 22 09:49:51 CET 2002

On 22 Jan 2002, Goswin Brederlow wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I hope this is the right place, havent read anything here for ages.
>

> I was wondering whether the palcodes used by L4 on Alpha are disjunct
> to the ones used by OSF / BSD / Linux.

yes they are. An exception is l4_whoami which is an experimental syscall
anyway. I think it maps directly to the OSF whoami call.

> If not could they be made disjunct?
>

> The idea I have in mind is to make a module for linux that catches the
> L4 syscalls and throws them back into user-space. That way a L4
> environment could be setup within linux.  It would be much like
> user-space-linux and would save a lot of reboots just to test out a
> few bytes of code.

heh :) That would be an interesting project. I'd be interested to know
how (if) you will deal with device drivers, memory etc.

> On the other hand, inside L4 you could do the same with OSF / BSD /
> Linux syscalls and thus run their binaries under L4. (You want to run
> Netscape under L4? Or Mathematica? Or something as simple as xemacs
> and gcc?)
>

> A l4-linux for alpha would also need those changes (if any) I believe.

Yes that is how we would run unmodified Linux/Alpha binaries on L4..

Cheers,
Daniel