Portable servers?

Jacob Gorm Hansen jg at ioi.dk
Fri Sep 20 00:03:03 CEST 2002

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 03:27:51PM +0900, Alexey Mandrookin wrote:
> Hi!
>
> How to write portable servers for L4 micro-kernel family?
>
> I found what the l4_threadid_t type is different in various
>
> L4 implementation. Does any wrapper on top of syscalls exist?

The difference is not really big in practice, because you tend to newer
use the third dword-register in ipc anyway.

In C, the compiler fixes things, especially if you refrain from using
raw thread-id constants, but base everything on template-ids, like

id = l4_myself();
id.id.lthread = XX

and so on. You still need to recompile though.

In asm, just assume that you always have 64-bit ids, by making sure not
to scratch %edi.

Its simple when you get used to it.

Best,
Jacob