Fiasco vs Hazelnut

Jacob Gorm Hansen jg at ioi.dk
Fri Mar 14 10:26:00 CET 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 01:58, Cristiano Ligieri Pereira wrote:
> I certainly looked through the FAQs first before posting this question but
> did not find any clean distinction between both kernel versions. I was
> already told and could check myself that there are performance
> differences. Are these differences described anywhere in the website and I
> missed it?
>
> What are the major differences between these two?

>From a user perspective I think these are the main points:

- Fiasco supports 64 bit thread ids, aka 2047 rather than 255 maximum
tasks.
- Fiasco implements a little more security, especially in relation to
task ownership.
- Fiasco's debugger has more features.
- Hazelnut has faster IPC.

>From my own experience I would say that if you wish to program something
for L4, use Fiasco, and if you want to run benchmarks, use Hazelnut.

Jacob