L4 and EROS

Hermann Härtig haertig at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Sun Jan 4 19:28:34 CET 2004

David,

on behalf of the L4 team (at least the one in Dresden):
Thanks for your kind words and the concern ;-) .

No need to worry about motivation. On the contrary, we want to push the
usage of L4 much further. After having had some nice publication
successes in the real-time domain, we now seem to have a real chance to
push the usage of L4 into the (high assurance ?) security area. For
instance, Dresden's L4 team has a contract to build a prototype of a
minimal VPN box in close contact with the German "Bundesamt für
Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik" (see
http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/mikrosina/). But since a long time, we
understand that the current interface has shortcomings, e.g., lacks
means to control message passing.

For that reason, and since I know Jonathan Shapiro since a while and
appreciate his work on Eros, I have invited him to Dresden to meet with
some members of the L4 team (at large) in a small workshop to discuss
how to best overcome these limitations. The purpose of the workshop will
be clarification, not necessarily consensus.

I am also a bit surprised at the volume and heat ...

No worries + happy new year to the "l4-Team"
--hermann.