ipc- where to send message(ipc).

Espen Skoglund esk at ira.uka.de
Tue May 25 13:16:23 CEST 2004

[manish regmi]
> hi,
> L4 send a message using a thread id. how will an application
> developer will know where to send the thread. he needs to know the
> tid of the server which is making a receive call. how to we know at
> runtime, which thread of File server(say) is receiveing a read()
> request.  I mean how is namespace resolved in l4.

Name resolution is not done *in* L4, but rather on top of it.  As
such, how namespaces are constructed really depends on what kind of
system you're building on top of L4.  One simple example would be to
have a well known name resolution server that clients can request
other servers from.  This could be a compiled in constant, or better,
an ID communicated to all newly created threads.  Name resolution
could also be resolved hierarchically by partially parsing the name in
the top level server and passing the rest of the name to other name
servers.

	eSk