Fw: Re: Question about the OS Group

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Tue Sep 14 23:45:10 CEST 2004

On Tue Sep 14, 2004 at 08:44:30 -0700, R. Tyler Ballance wrote:
> First off, I have some decent Compaq Pentium 1 desktops back home I could
> easily commandeer for hacking on. (I'm in college, so home is a 5 hour trip away)
>
> Will it run fine? I know system builds will suck, but it should work fine right?

P1 boxes are supposed to work.

> Secondly, I understand fully how a microkernel works, i've seen the
> schematics, flow charts, etc, but I'm confused at how a driver, for
> example, would be coded. Is it something that one hacks into userland? (Is it
> portable across L4 Operating Systems? (L4Linux, Fiasco, etc)

Drivers are in userland, yes (with the rights they need). Portable? Hmm,
maybe you're mixing something up between Fiasco und L4Linux. Fiasco is
an L4 kernel, L4Linux an L4 program running on a kernel. So L4Linux can
contain drivers, or a driver can be a standalone L4 program offering the
hardware functionality to clients. So a driver is more or less as
portable as any other L4 program, i.e. depends on the used environment
etc.

Adam                 adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de