FLIPS NIC Driver

Christian Helmuth ch12 at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Fri Sep 17 15:06:25 CEST 2004

Hello Leon,

could you please write a new email (no reply) to
l4-hackers at os.inf.tu-dresden.de in case you want to start a new thread.
This a way it's easier to track which issue is discussed.

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 10:39:35AM +0200, Leon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was informed that FLIPS currently only support the Intel eepro100 NIC.
>
> Q1: If FLIPS implements the DDE shouldn't it be possible to use any driver?

To tell the truth, FLIPS does not really "support" eepro100 NICs. FLIPS is
a port of the Linux 2.4 TCP/IP stack to L4. "flips-lxdrv" is just a simple
toy to get it working on real hardware - my test box. You are free to hack
other drivers into flips/server/lib-lxdrv.

There exists a package that uses dde_linux to run Linux NIC drivers on L4,
but unfortunately it's not in our public CVS up to now.

> Q2: If so where in the code would you configure FLIPS to use such a driver?

(see above) I think you have to hack a bit to get it running. Which NIC do
you want to use (Linux driver file)? Maybe I could help you.

Chao
--
Christian Helmuth
## Dept. of CS, TU Dresden,  Germany ##