Problems booting L4Linux2.4+L4Env

Christian Helmuth ch12 at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Thu Oct 21 09:22:32 CEST 2004

Hello,

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 06:39:27PM +0200, Adam Lackorzynski wrote:
> hi,
>
> On Wed Oct 20, 2004 at 17:13:38 +0100, Tiago Jorge wrote:
> > I'm trying to boot L4Linux 2.4 with the L4Env following the explanation
> > that is in L4Linux webpage, i have encontered a problem. "names" is the
> > only server that is getting a memory page where he shouldn't.
> > How can i solve this problem?
>
> The link address of names is somewhat suboptimal. Go to
> l4/pkg/names/server/src and change the value of DEFAULT_RELOC in
> Make.rules to something like 0x7e000 or 0x200000 (I have it at 0x200000
> right now and it works for me). (Hint: we should change this...)

If you ever encounter those overlapping problems again use some magic and
create a file STATIC in l4/pkg/. The syntax of each line of STATIC is:

<link address> <binary name>

My STATIC file look like this:

0x00200000 names
0x00300000 log

Afterwards do "make relink" in l4/pkg/ and your binaries will be (nomen
est omen) relinked. The big advantage of this approach is, you do not
change any CVS files and won't have to merge.

Hope it helps
--
Christian Helmuth
## Dept. of CS, TU Dresden,  Germany ##