Problem booting L4Linux 2.4 + L4Env (Part 3)

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Thu Oct 21 21:43:13 CEST 2004

On Thu Oct 21, 2004 at 16:14:14 +0100, Tiago Jorge wrote:
> 1. I'm trying to boot the Fedora Core 1 that i have in my disk with
> L4Linux kernel but i haven't found a way yet. Like we say here in
> portugal, i've been trying to "hammer" a solution, but didn't worked
> out. my grub.conf looks like this:
>
> title Fiasco + L4Linux
>       root (hd0,0)
>       kernel /fiasco/rmgr -sigma0 task modname "vmlinuz" module
>       modaddr 0x02000000
>       module /fiasco/main -nokdb -nowait -serial_esc -comspeed 115200 -comport 1
>       module /fiasco/sigma0
>       module /fiasco/vmlinuz no-scroll no-hlt l4irqack=linux root=/dev/hda5
>       module /fiasco/2.2.27.img <===== i'm doing this beacause i can't
> use initrd

If you don't want to use an initrd, remove the "module" statement from
the RMGR line. (For further issues please include the error messages as
well, it's easier for us to figures out what's going on.)

> is this the right way to do it? Im i missing something? he says that
> can't find a init and even when sometimes he loads the img, it crashes
> while loading it from disk. /dev/hda5 is my / partition.

What's the 2.2.27.img file? The file name doesn't sound likes it's a rd.

> 2. Is it mandatory in L4Env boot to have the tftp server? can't i boot
> it from disk?

The loader program needs a file provider to get the files from. This is
usually the tftp server. There's another implementation of this service
in l4/pkg/generic_fprov/examples/bmodfs. That's a file provider, which
can be given modules via GRUB so that it does not depend on a working
network.

Adam                 adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de