Building and Using the Fiasco µ-Kernel, new user

Julian Grizzard grizzard at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 19:41:35 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I am just starting to look into the Fiasco microkernel for some
research I am doing.   This looks like a very neat project and you
guys have done some great work!  I have followed the build
instructions located at:
http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/fiasco/use.html
as a starting point and wanted to share the two problems I ran into.

First, I could not get the "make config" to work on my gentoo system
(gcc 3.3.4, make 3.80).  This is what happened:
$ make config
make -C ./tool/config
make: *** C-Compiler needs target arch. Maybe you mean HOST_CC.  Stop.
$
Not sure what the problem is.  I noticed the message appears to be the
contents of the ${CC_} variable in l4/mk/Makeconf.  My work around was
to compile on a redhat 8.0 box.

Second, I had this problem when I booted the system:
    --init--------------------------------------EIP: f0010a0f
jdb:

Here is the grub configuration I used on the floppy (from
http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/fiasco/use.html):
# this is /floppy/boot/grub/menu.lst
title hello world
kernel (fd0)/rmgr -sigma0
module (fd0)/main -nokdb
module (fd0)/sigma0
module (fd0)/hello

After digging around, I decided to change the thid line from
"module (fd0)/main -nokdb" to "module (fd0)/main -nokdb -nowait".  Is
this correct?  It seems to be working.

Thanks!

-Julian