Is it a problem to use l4env_freebsd - mode?

Frank Mehnert fm3 at
Wed Nov 30 13:26:16 CET 2005

Hi Arthur,

(explicitly cc:'d to Björn Döbel, the maintainer of l4ore)

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 12:49, Arthur Mielimonka wrote:
> I was told recently that you are currently in the process of dumping
> oskit in favor of uclibc or dietlibc.
> For my work, I need the log_net server which only compiles with oskit.
> So I cannot abandon it.
> Are they any problems or reasons why one shouldn't use oskit?
> Is it possilble to use a mixed configuration (e.g. compile log_net with
> oskit and own packages with dietlibc and use them together)?

There are several reasons, some of them are:
- oskit is quite fat and complex. The internal COM interface makes it
- oskit is not maintained anymore
  difficult to understand what happens if a new library is added
- oskit1.0 is GPL

It should be possible to compile the log_net server using the oskit and
compile the other parts of L4env with dietlibc or uClibc. However, it
would make much sense to port the log_net interface to the new ore
server (l4/pkg/ore). Björn, could you give an estimation about the
effort to port log_net to ore?

## Dept. of Computer Science, Dresden University of Technology, Germany ##