make hello stops with an error

Der Herr Hofrat der.herr at
Fri Mar 3 13:41:38 CET 2006

> Hi,
> I try to compile L4 kernel on x86 just to start with, but ¨make hello¨ results
> in an error in linking as follows:
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lroot.o
> I was unable to locate this module manually. Any ideas?
you need to build the core system components first before building hello.
your problem will go away if you do a "make" in the top level l4 directory
first not "make hello", sounds like the build system needs some dependency
check fixing here.

in the top level l4 directory

  make config
    [*] Use roottask instead of RMGR (WIP + EXPERIMENTAL)

Atleast for me the current CVS will not build if roottask is not set.

which also builds pkg/hello (result in pkg/hello/server/src/OBJ-x86_586-l4v2/hello)

if you want to play with hello only - after the initial make has completed -
edit files below pkg/hello/ and do

  make hello

in the top level l4 directory or

  cd pkg/hello

if you want to play with a minimal server outside of the l4 tree you need to
export L4DIR and use the bid tools to set it up

  cd /tmp
  export L4DIR=/home/l4/   (or where ever you put the l4 tree)
  mkdir myhello
  cd myhello

to get moving see $L4DIR/doc/bid-tut/