Static Linux kernel, anyone?

Adam Lackorzynski adam at
Sun Apr 9 21:14:18 CEST 2006

On Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 13:07:09 +0000, Stefan Schulz wrote:
> I am currently trying to build a static linux kernel (one usable
> without libloader). I have read the earlier thread in this mailing
> list, but have run into some problems. I tried adding libraries to fix
> undefined references, since merely adding the static dependencies of
> did not work.
> Finally, i hit upon references such as  __l4sys_abs_ipc_fixup, which
> frankly looks like something i should not have to care about. ;) A
> quick scan through the libraries also seemed to indicate that it isn't
> even exported by any library.

This is only needed for shared libs.

> So, what am i doing so fundamentally wrong? Is there a way to build a
> static linux binary, or is it just intrinsically tied to the loader?

Currently there's no switch to build a static version, as you have
probably noticed. L4Linux is not tied to the loader, it is just the way
it is loaded right now. I don't see any fundamental problem in having a
static version. I'll stuff this issue into my todo-lists somewhere.

Adam                 adam at