Amount of threads per task?

Oskar Senft o.senft at
Thu Aug 24 16:45:21 CEST 2006

Hi L4 Hackers!

When creating new threads within the L4Linux kernel, I "sometimes"
(whatever that means) get the following output and error:

*l4lx    | l4lx_thread_create: Created thread 0e.1a (Command)
    --Thread names exhausted!--------------------------------IP: 0050758e

What does that mean? After pressing "g", the system continues running.
However when I try to kill the thread later, I get the following:

    --Unknown TID to delete thread name!---------------------IP: 0050760a

Is it not possible to create more than 0x19 = 25 threads within the L4Linux
kernel? Or am I doing anything wrong?

Sirrix AG security technologies -
Oskar Senft  eMail: o.senft at
Tel +49 (681) 936 251 - 119   Fax +49 (681) 936 251 - 519
get public key from keyserver
Fingerprint 6FC6 3E44 233F 7F4B 33C7  A8D0 2EDA F3BA B5A3 0BA4

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you
are not the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action
based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this
message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and