Is there a service in L4 packages like shell in Linux?

Martin Pohlack mp26 at
Tue Aug 29 09:31:12 CEST 2006

chenggh wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I think if a servive in l4/pkgs like shell in Linux exists it will help the
> L4-user very much.  We could start or stop a seriver like creating or
> destroying a process in Linux.

Why don't you just use an Linux shell for creating linux processes, like
bash?  It does not seem to make much sense creating linux processes from
outside L4Linux?

>  I don't know whether there is a server like
> this? If it is not done I want to have a development with this server.
> 	thank you!

There are external shells for Drops, but they are mostly used for
interacting with the L4 system, not the inner workings of L4Linux.  Have
a look here:

  pkg/little_shell  (I don't know if this is available externally)

  pkg/l4vfs/term_server  (a basis for little_shell)

And then there are L4Linux tools to start L4 tasks: