L4Linux on L4Ka::Pistachio

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Thu Dec 14 18:28:28 CET 2006

On Thu Dec 14, 2006 at 17:03:44 +0100, Christian, Martin, OPEE45 wrote:
> 1. Status Report
> ================
> I've got a L4Ka::Pistachio running on an embedded PowerPC and my goal is
> to get a Linux running on top by end of January. This is part of my
> "Diplomarbeit" at the University of Leipzig.

That isn't too far away from here.

> 2. Questions
> ============
> a) Is the L4Env required for running L4Linux?

Yes but that's no strict requirement.

> b) How much time would it take to port L4Env to L4Ka::Pistachio?

Cannot really say. It would probably take me a month or two, I don't
know how others would perform.

> c) If L4Env was ported to L4Ka::Pistachio, could I run L4Linux without
> changes?

A few changes would be required but nothing earth shattering, I'd

> d) What about the Fiasco port to PowerPC from Mathias Lange? He
> mentioned some problems, so it didn't work. Is it running now? Where
> could I get the source code?

This didn't come to an end.

> e) If Fiasco would be running on PowerPC, would it be possible to run
> L4Linux without changes?

No. If one wants to have binary compatibility then some PPC code needs
to be there. And then that would not be the way I'm currently doing

> f) I've read something about L4Linux running on L4Ka::Pistachio with
> Kernel 2.4? Did I get that right? So I could at least get an old Linux
> kernel running on my system.

Yes, L4Linux-2.4 also runs in Pistachio, at least it did when we worked
on it. It's all in the l4ka CVS. I suppose support on this is basically

Adam                 adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de