The ultimate HOW-TO

Bjoern Doebel doebel at
Mon Aug 27 18:41:17 CEST 2007

skitmax81 at wrote:
> Bjoern Doebel wrote:
> Quoted from:
> Yes, I've read the page, but, because I'm newbie, I don't understand how to have a standalone
> setup without DOpE.. I would like to have a simple console where compile/build and run <i>lmbench</i>

As Adam already pointed out, you shouldn't even use DOpE when doing a

So let's sum it up:
* Build Fiasco and the hello server. Then run it and make sure that the red
(performance-critical) warnings at Fiasco bootup are gone.
* Build the L4Env packages needed for L4Linux, namely those that appear in
the menu.lst which can be found on the "Using L4Linux" page you already know.
* Build L4Linux. Disable DOpE support, disable networking and sound stuff,
enable VGA text console and hard disk support.
* Put all the binaries obtained so far into the boot directory where GRUB
gets its modules from, e.g., where your (SUSe?) Linux kernel is.
* Create a loader config file for L4Linux, just like the one on the L4Linux
page and put it in the same location. You don't have to use a ramdisk, but
can just put a "root=/dev/hda1" or something similar there. Basically, you
should be able to use your native Linux environment from HD with L4Linux, too.
* Add a menu.lst entry such as the one on the L4Linux page to your GRUB

Which of the above points is unclear to you?

> I'm not intereste to have networking or sound or other stuffs, only a simple console Linux-like.. it's
> for a course and I'm a bit frustrated.. two months and no results.. sigh! :-((

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -