fiasco - related

Steffen Schulz pepe_ml at gmx.net
Fri Jan 29 10:19:56 CET 2010

On 100129 at 19:45, Marcus Voelp wrote:
> > I have to select one of the micro-kernels for further development. I
> > need answers to following questions to go forward:
> >
> > - What are the limitations/advantages of Fiasco, L4Ka: Pistachio and OKL4.
> In a nutshell, OKL4 is a commercially suppored derivative of
> L4Ka:Pistachio, Fiasco and Pistachio are both research kernels. For
> application developers the feature sets of these kernels and of the Nova
> Microhypervisor differ only at a very detailled level. The low-level OS
> layers (e.g., L4RE for Fiasco) typically abstract from most kernel
> details. This leads to the answer of your next question:
> > Which one should I select?
> It depends on what you want to do with this kernel.
>
> As a small guidance:
>   - Real-Time:         Fiasco / Jan's version of Pistachio
>   - Virtualization:   Fiasco, Pistachio, Nova, (OKL4?)
>   - Verification:      seL4
>   - Product:            OKL4 or P4 (from sysgo)

It might also be worth noting that TUDOS ships quite a few tools,
libraries and frameworks to get you started. Genode also provides some
infrastructure for OKL4 and Pistachio, but in general it appears you
start mostly from scratch when developing for those others.

> > - Is Fiasco still alive? When I visit Fiasco
> > http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/fiasco/ site, last updated date is 26 Sep
> > 2005 *Fiasco 1.2 released!* Do we have further releases or is it stopped?
> Yes, although the webpage has become a little outdated. We are currently
> preparing a release of our new Fiasco version which will also include
> capabilities, kernel memory management and full virtualization support.

That is GREAT news! Are we talking weeks or months?

/steffen
--
Chair for System Security                   mail: steffen.schulz at rub.de
Ruhr-University Bochum                      phone:  +49 (0)234 32 29177