[ANNOUNCE] NOVA Microhypervisor 0.1 prerelease

Thomas DuBuisson thomas.dubuisson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 20:31:52 CET 2010

> A CPU that supports VMX or SVM provides 4 host rings and 4 guest rings.
> They are used as follows: host/ring0=NOVA microhypervisor, host/ring3=NOVA
> user-level environment, guest/ring0=Linux kernel, guest/ring3=Linux apps.

Interesting that it requires SVM/VMX.  Seeing as there are good
performance reasons for Linux VirtIO and other cooperative
para-virtualization schemes I'm wondering what the reasoning is for
making a new hypervisor that doesn't support such a feature.  I notice
the NOVA page is lacking in an FAQ - could someone here educate me?
Is this just a "you want performance? Use our ABI!" deal?

Cheers,
Thomas