L4Re multiple Linux instances communication

Michael Weiß Michael.Weiss at sit.fraunhofer.de
Mon Sep 20 14:38:28 CEST 2010

On 09/16/2010 10:22 PM, Adam Lackorzynski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu Sep 16, 2010 at 16:33:10 +0200, Michael Weiß wrote:
>> I'm trying to establish a communication between
>> several L4Linux instances on fiasco.oc kernel with L4Re on the beagle board,
>> preferable through a virtual network.
>> I found out that the outdated L4env provided a virtual netwok switch, ORe
>> and the l4ore driver in L4Linux for that purpose.
>> Is there something similar available for L4Re and
>> how can I setup a connection between two L4Linux instances?
>
> Ankh is the new Ore. Unfortunately the l4ore-driver in L4Linux hasn't
> been converted yet. But there's the l4shmnet driver which connects two
> Linuxes via shared memory. I haven't used that one in a while so things
> might be unstable but it basically works by creating an l4re namespace
> in the start script and giving it to both Linuxes via
> l4shmnet.add=shmns,0x12 (and one with an additional ',create'). Then
> there should be a network device in each Linux...
>

> HTH,
> Adam

Thanks for the replay Adam,

I compiled the l4linux kernel with the l4shm driver,
and tried to follow your advise to create a namespace
and give it to the two l4linux instances.
However, I have difficulties to understand the whole lua
stuff.
So I might did the namespace creation wrong,
because the l4shm driver is complaining about that it cannot
find the namespace:

First l4linux instance with create:
shmns: Requesting, role Creator, Shmsize 1024 Kbytes
shmns: Failed to establish communication

Second l4linux instance:
shmns: Requesting, role User, Shmsize 1024 kbytes
l4linux1| shm: did not find 'shmns' namespace

I tired to create the namespace like that:
shmns = L4.default_loader:create_namespace("shmns");

Could you tell me, how to create the L4Re namespace right
and maybe needed capability settings.

Thanks,
Michael