Booting Fiasco with U-Boot (or: what is 0x002000000?)

Matthias Lange mlange at sec.t-labs.tu-berlin.de
Wed Nov 3 19:27:20 CET 2010

Hi Thomas

On 11/03/2010 07:09 PM, Thomas DuBuisson wrote:
> All,
>
> Thanks for the previous help with building Fiasco/L4Re.  Now that its
> built I have given a couple stabs at booting it on my beagleboard like
> device (I'll document all this in a blog and or wiki when/if I
> finish).  Unfortunately I can't seem to get any sign of life on the
> screen (perhaps I should solder up a serial line for debugging
> purposes).  What I've done:
>
> 1) Cross compiled L4Re and Fiasco for the beagleboard.
>
> 2) Copied l4re, lua, moe, fiasco, and created hello.lua to the SDs
> first partition (the fat boot partition).
>
> 3) Rebuilt/copied over u-boot.bin using:
> #define CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS \
>         "bootargs=tbr=x console=tty1 omapfb.mode=dvi:1024x600MR-16 at 60
> omapfb.vrfb=1 omapfb.vram=0:8M,1:4M,2:8M root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
> rootdelay=1 rootfstype=ext3\0"
>
> #define CONFIG_BOOTCOMMAND \
>         "mmc init; fatload mmc 0 0x02000000 fiasco; bootm 0x02000000"
>
> Though I have tried different addresses including what I think is a
> typo on the "Getting Started" page of 0x002000000.

First of all you need to build a single image ELF file which can be
loaded by u-boot because u-boot is not multiboot capable.

1. Create a configuration in src/l4/conf/modules.list
2. In your build directory type "make E=YOUR_ENTRY image"
3. Copy images/bootstrap_YOUR_ENTRY.uimage to your SD card
4. mmc init; fatload mmc 0 0x02000000 bootstrap_YOUR_ENTRY.uimage; bootm
0x02000000

Matthias.