Thread IP initialization

Björn Döbel doebel at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Sat Jan 15 19:37:47 CET 2011

Hey,

> I understand that much but what if I want to load
> program? Assume I already have access to the file (disk
> and filesystem driver present) how can I load bare
> instructions in "instruction segment" from say a Mach-o
> file. basically what want to know is how you go about
> creating an task given the bare instructions as in a
> file.

In such a case you do whatever you'd need to do on any other OS as well.
You use a binary loader that interprets the binary format, finds out
which sections of the binary should be placed where, sets up the memory
layout, and determines the entry point of the application. There is an
ELF binary loader already coming with L4Re, you might want to go through
it and the Mach-O binary spec if you wanted to have a Mach-O binary loader.

Bjoern