L4 fpages

Björn Döbel doebel at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Sun Jan 16 10:24:20 CET 2011

On 16.01.2011 03:08, Jason Philip wrote:
> one more thing, what io-fpages are and what are them used for?

As I explained yesterday, flexpages (== fpages) are the internal data
type that is used to describe regions of memory when establishing a
mapping between two address spaces.

This was not the whole truth. As Adam already said, flexpages are not
only used for memory mappings, but also for mapping other kinds of
resources, such as capabilities (= the right to talk to a kernel object)
and I/O ports. The latter is what io-fpages are for.

Bjoern