Fiasco.OC IPC performance

Chen Tian chen.tian at acm.org
Fri Feb 4 00:47:08 CET 2011

Hello,

I am trying to compare the IPC performance between Pistachio and
Fiasco.OC. I found the performances are almost the same for the
Pingpong benchmark (I modified the one in Pistachio so that it can run
with Fiasco.OC as well). I notice that if I turn off "tracebuffer" and
"perfmon counter" switches when compiling Pistachio kernel, the IPC of
Pistachio is much faster -- about 150x speedup for Pingpong! I tried
to do the same thing for Fiasco.OC by turning off debugging related
switches. However, I was not able to observe any performance
improvement. I wonder if what config options that can dramatically
affect the IPC performance for Fiasco.OC.

Also, I will appreciate it if anyone could explain to me the major IPC
implementation differences.

Thanks,

Chen