Fiasco.OC IPC performance

Chen Tian chen.tian at acm.org
Sat Feb 5 02:01:59 CET 2011

Thanks for the reply.

The architecture is x86. For pistachio, I got ~2000 cycles for a
round-trip IPC with all kernel debug features disabled.  With kernel
debug (i.e. tracebuffer etc.) features, the number is about 300K
cycles.

For Fiasco.OC, the number is also around 300K cycles no matter jdb
debugging switch is on or off.

All these numbers are obtained from Virtualbox simulations (4-core processors).

In the pingpong benchmark (found in pistachio userland), I replaced
the L4_Ipc call with a send/wait pair. Specifically, ping thread does
L4_Send/L4_Wait; and pong thread does L4_Wait/L4_Send. These two calls
are changed to l4_ipc_wait and l4_ipc_send for Fiasco.OC. I don't
understand why my pingpong program shows such slow IPCs.

Chen