L4Re: C++ or DICE for IPC

Valery V. Sedletski _valerius at mail.ru
Tue Feb 22 10:17:02 CET 2011

Hi, all.

I checked out a new L4Re userland and a new Fiasco.OC microkernel. I noticed that it seems, no IDL compiler is used for IPC anymore, but
found that, like in l4\pkg\examples\clntsrv\ example, IPC is encapsulated in C++ classes. That's nice, C++ is a feature-rich object oriented
language. But what can I do if I want to write a program on other languages, like plain C, Ada etc.? I think, such possibility must exist too, and
IDL is a means of implementing such a language neutrality.

Is DICE discontinued? And how can I do something with communication code if not using IDL?

Thanks in advance,
WBR,
valery