L4Re: C++ or DICE for IPC

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Tue Feb 22 12:06:41 CET 2011

Hello,

if you are interested in getting an insight into the decision of
removing the IDL compiler from the user-land tool chain (in both Genode
and L4re), you may refer to my study of the subject:

  "A Case Study on the Cost and Benefit of Dynamic RPC Marshalling
   for Low-Level System Components"

  http://genode-labs.com/publications/dynrpc-2007.pdf

As far as I know, the integration with Ada would actually be quite
straight forward because the class layout of Ada is compatible with C++.
This enables you to call virtual C++ functions (the IPC stub code) from
Ada code.

Regards
Norman

--