L4Re: C++ or DICE for IPC

Valery V. Sedletski _valerius at mail.ru
Thu Feb 24 03:07:11 CET 2011

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:06:41 +0100, Norman Feske wrote:

>Hello,
>
>if you are interested in getting an insight into the decision of
>removing the IDL compiler from the user-land tool chain (in both Genode
>and L4re), you may refer to my study of the subject:
>
>  "A Case Study on the Cost and Benefit of Dynamic RPC Marshalling
>   for Low-Level System Components"
>
>  http://genode-labs.com/publications/dynrpc-2007.pdf

thanks, it's interesting, I'll look into it...

>As far as I know, the integration with Ada would actually be quite
>straight forward because the class layout of Ada is compatible with C++.
>This enables you to call virtual C++ functions (the IPC stub code) from
>Ada code.

Ada is nice, but what if no OOP exist in the language at all, like in plain C? A
combination of C with IDL was good enough to use.

So, Genode is using a dynamic IPC marshalling too? But I also see a
"Liasis RPC stub-code generator by Stefan Kalkowski" in the Genode wiki,
so maybe, a mixed approach can be used too...

Is Liasis publically available and ready? or maybe, some other RPC stub
generators exist? -- I used Fiasco with DICE and L4env, now L4env and DICE
are discontinued. Maybe, other RPC stub generators/IDL compilers, compatible
with Fiasco API, exist?

WBR,
valery