Announcement: Genode 11.02 with support for both NOVA v0.3 and Fiasco.OC

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Thu Feb 24 15:01:27 CET 2011

Dear L4 hackers,

I am pleased to announce the release of the version 11.02 of the Genode
OS Framework. Genode is an OS architecture that promises to align high
security and robustness with dynamic application workloads. The Genode
OS Framework as the reference implementation of this architecture.

With the new version 11.02, we enabled the framework to be used with the
Fiasco.OC kernel developed at TU Dresden in addition to the already
supported base platforms L4/Fiasco, L4ka::Pistachio, Linux, OKL4v2,
Codezero, and NOVA. Furthermore, we upgraded the NOVA support to version
0.3, which was published earlier this month. So now, both current kernel
developments at TU Dresden are fully embraced by the framework. We are
grateful for the excellent support we got from Alexander Warg and Udo
Steinberg.

Alongside the expanded platform support, the new release features many
improvements, the most prominent being

  - Fiasco.OC as new base platform
  - Running Genode natively on MicroBlaze CPUs
  - Support for version 0.3 of the NOVA hypervisor
  - Noux execution environment for GNU userland software
  - Base framework
    - Core resource accounting using guarded allocators
    - Protocol enhancements for upgrading session quotas
  - Qt4 updated to version 4.7.1
  - New tooling support for automated integration and testing

Please find a more elaborative description of the changes accompanied
with a lot of background information in the release notes of version 11.02:

  http://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/11.02

The new version is ready for download at our download page at
Sourceforge and our public SVN repository:

  http://genode.org/download

Best Regards
--
Dr.-Ing. Norman Feske