Genode OS framework and kernel-specific features

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Sat Mar 5 21:03:16 CET 2011

Hi Valery,

thanks for your nice words about the Genode OS Framework.

> My question is: Can be the underlying kernel determined under Genode, and then try doing kernel-specific things? Or, maybe, there is a more elegant way to do
> kernel-specific things?

There the three feasible approaches to integrate kernel-specific code: a
separate repository that shadows parts of the other repositories, by
using hack-ish preprocessor defines specified via the compiler command
line (not recommended), or by using specialized libraries (highly
recommended). I will shortly describe each of these ways.

When building, the Genode build system considers all directory trees
specified as 'REPOSITORIES' in the '<build-dir>'/etc/build.conf' file.
If two files with the same name are present in two repositories, the
version of the foremost repository is picked. For example, let's assume
you have a custom repository called 'yourrepo' and you want to customize
the thread library normally described in 'base-foc/lib/mk/thread.mk',
you can just create a custom version of the library description file
'yourrepo/lib/mk/thread.mk'. If the 'REPOSITORIES' declaration has
'yourrepo' listed in front of the 'base-foc' repository, your version
will be picked up by the build system. The same shadowing mechanism
applies to header files, which enables you to easily replace each
original header that come with Genode with a specific version provided
by 'yourrepo/include'. You can see this approach at work with the
separation of generic base code (located at the 'base' repository) and
platform-specific base code (located at the 'base-<platform>'
repository). Because 'base-<platform>' is specified in front of 'base'
in the 'REPOSITORIES' declaration, the platform-specific code is able to
shadow generic code.

The second approach is specifying a '-DHAS_SPECIAL_FEATURE' definition
at the compiler's command line and to wrap the kernel-specific code via
classical preprocessor directives '#ifdef HAS_SPECIAL_FEATURE'-'#endif'.
This is the typical solution as employed in most GNU projects. In
principle, it can be used on Genode as well by introducing a new 'SPEC'
(see Genode's getting-started documents for more details about the SPECS
mechansism). All you need is creating a new file
'yourrepo/mk/spec-your_special_feature.mk'. In this file, extend the
compiler arguments by 'CC_OPT += -DHAS_SPECIAL_FEATURE'. Now, you can
enable the special feature in your build directory by manually extending
the 'SPECS' variable in your '<build-dir>/etc/specs.conf' file: 'SPECS
+= has_special_feature'. This tells the build system to look for a file
called 'spec-your_special_feature.mk' in all 'mk' subdirectories of all
repositories. Hence, it will pick up your file with your 'CC_OPT'
extension. However, I recommend to avoid '#ifdef'-'#endif'
customizations because this facilitates the intermixing of
platform-dependent with generic code, leading to code that is hard to
maintain and difficult to test.

The actually recommended way is to encapsulate the specialized code in a
dedicated library that implements a common interface. For example, at
'os/include/blit/blit.h', you find an interface for a 2D blitting
function. There exist two implementations of this interface, a generic
version and a version specialized for x86 using MMX instructions. The
library description file of the generic version is located at
'os/lib/mk/blit.mk'. So if a program wants to use the blit interface, it
just specifies 'LIBS += blit'. Normally, the build system will then
process the 'blit.mk' file. However, there exists a second version at
'os/lib/mk/x86_32/blit.mk'. If the 'SPECS' variable defined at the build
directory contains 'x86_32', the build system will automatically look in
a subdirectory called 'x86_32' within each 'lib/mk' directory for
specialized versions. This is a fairly generic mechanism - specialized
code is provided by a specialized library that implements a generic
interface. At build time, the definition of the 'SPECS' variable tells
the build system where to look for specialized library description
files. In your particular case, when building for Fiasco.OC, the 'SPECS'
variable already contains 'foc'. So you can have a Fiasco.OC specific
library implementation by simply providing a 'mk/foc/yourlib.mk' file.

Best regards
Norman

--
Dr.-Ing. Norman Feske