Customizing L4Linux, on ARM/Beagleboard

Julien Heyman bidsomail at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 14:27:35 CET 2011

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate getting some advice as to the proper way to customize and
rebuild an L4Linux kernel.
I am testing Fiasco.OC/L4Re/L4Linux on a Beagleboard (ARM), I installed
everything from the latest snapshot package, full build is fine, and
launching the provided L4Linux "arm-up" kernel on my Beagleboard is ok.
Now, to customize the configuration of the L4Linux kernel, I did "*make
O=../../obj/l4linux/arm-up menuconfig*" from *\src\l4linux* directory,
adjusted a few options, saved & exited, so far so good.
Then I try to rebuild the L4Linux kernel using "*make
O=../../obj/l4linux/arm-up*", and I get:

*"<path...>/src/l4linux is not clean, please run 'make mrproper'
  in the '<path...>/src/l4linux' directory."*

So I do just that,
*
<path..>/src/l4linux$ make O=../../obj/l4linux/arm-up mrproper*

but :
- it ends with an error *"rm: cannot remove `arch/l4/include/asm/orig-arch':
Is a directory"*
- as expected, it wipes out a lot of things in the target build directory,
including... the *.config* corresponding to my customized kernel....back to
square one.

I must be missing something trivial, so if someone could point it out to
me... ;)

Regards,
Julien