build error: No rule to make target crtendS.o

Adam Lackorzynski adam at
Tue May 17 22:28:04 CEST 2011

On Tue May 17, 2011 at 11:26:21 +0200, Guillaume Salagnac wrote:
> I'm trying to compile Fiasco/L4Re for beagleboard from a 64bit macosx host.
> "make setup" is quite happy, even though it yields a few warnings, but
> "make" itself chokes on the "No rule to make target ...crtendS.o,
> needed by". (full transcript below, the error is at the
> very bottom)
> I do know it's the first item in the FAQ, but I can't seem to
> understand the fix: the ARM target is 32-bit anyway, so why am I
> getting bitten by these 32-bits/64-bits issues ?

Thanks for the hint, I added another entry.
> I installed pretty much all packages I could think of (several
> variants of arm-gcc, of gcc, including multilib) but obviously I'm
> missing something important.
> % arm-none-eabi-gcc --version
> arm-none-eabi-gcc (Linaro GCC 4.5-2011.02-0) 4.5.2
> make[8]: *** No rule to make target `/opt/armgcc/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.5.2//crtendS.o', needed by `'.  Stop.

Please use the arm-none-linux-gnueabi version of gcc. Looks like we
might not need to link crtendS.o at least with 4.5 but I'm not sure
currently for other versions.

Adam                 adam at