building L4 x86 on cygwin

joel nider joel at nider.org
Sun May 22 11:09:56 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm trying to build l4 on cygwin (windows) for x86.  I have built binutils 2.21 and gcc 4.5.2 as cross-compilers (--target=i386-elf).  When I try to build l4, I pass SYSTEM_TARGET=i386-elf- as a parameter to 'make'.

Preprocessing seems to complete successfully, but compilation fails on the first file (kip.cpp).  The error message is:

src/kernel/fiasco/src/types/types.h:4:20: fatal error: stddef.h: No such file or directory

My question is - what is missing?  Do I need to build glibc?  Or did I miss something while installing my gcc?

Thanks in advance,
Joel