Newbie question: L4Linux as a patch

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Wed Jul 6 18:34:01 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Wed Jul 06, 2011 at 16:58:25 +0200, Pablo Chacin wrote:
> I'm doing a review of options for virtualization in Linux.
> From the documentation, it seems that L4Linux is a complete
> port of the Linux Kernel. I'm wondering if there is a patch (or
> series of patches) that could be used to modify an standard
> Linux kernel and make it compatible with the L4 virtualization?
>
> The question comes from my scenario: I need to deploy a
> customized linux kernel and want to do so over L4. This kernel
> is build from the standard kernel applying some patches. I would
> like to do the same with L4Linux, so the resulting kernel has
> my patches plus L4.
>
> Is this feasible? has been tested?

L4Linux is also a patch against the standard Linux kernel. There's no
patch readily available for download but you can easily generate it
yourself. When your own modifications collide with the L4Linux ones you
will need to do some conflict resolving. This basically only affects
changes to arch/x86 or arch/arm. If your modifications are not in there
it should not be a problem at all.

Adam                 adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de