Newbie question: L4Linux as a patch

Pablo Chacin pchacin at ac.upc.edu
Wed Jul 6 19:09:56 CEST 2011

Thanks Adam

Just wondering. Why is not done this way? Any "technical" reason or a
matter of
preferences by the development team?

No criticism intended, just wondering :-D

Pablo

On 07/06/2011 06:34 PM, Adam Lackorzynski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed Jul 06, 2011 at 16:58:25 +0200, Pablo Chacin wrote:
>> I'm doing a review of options for virtualization in Linux.
>>  From the documentation, it seems that L4Linux is a complete
>> port of the Linux Kernel. I'm wondering if there is a patch (or
>> series of patches) that could be used to modify an standard
>> Linux kernel and make it compatible with the L4 virtualization?
>>
>> The question comes from my scenario: I need to deploy a
>> customized linux kernel and want to do so over L4. This kernel
>> is build from the standard kernel applying some patches. I would
>> like to do the same with L4Linux, so the resulting kernel has
>> my patches plus L4.
>>
>> Is this feasible? has been tested?
> L4Linux is also a patch against the standard Linux kernel. There's no
> patch readily available for download but you can easily generate it
> yourself. When your own modifications collide with the L4Linux ones you
> will need to do some conflict resolving. This basically only affects
> changes to arch/x86 or arch/arm. If your modifications are not in there
> it should not be a problem at all.
>

> Adam

0 0 0  Pablo Chacin               | Dept. d'Arquitectura de Computadors
0 0 0  e-mail: pchacin at ac.upc.edu | UPC-Campus Nord. Modul D6-212
0 0 0  phone: +34 +93 405 4059    | Jordi Girona, 1-3
U P C  fax:   +34 +93 401 7055    | 08034 Barcelona - SPAIN
www:   http://personals.ac.upc.es/pchacin