Test suite for Fiasco

Bryce CR brycecr at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 20:00:15 CEST 2011

Hi Adam / Hackers,

Alrighty then, I'm trying to get L4Linux up and running, but I'm running
into some small hitches.

Everything builds just fine, but getting the system running I'm missing
a few things. I eventually found this in an email of Adam's from late
last year:

make qemu E=L4Linux-mag-x86
MODULE_SEARCH_PATH=.../l4/conf/examples:.../fiasco/build-for-ia32:.../l4/pkg/io/config:../l4linux-x86-build:/tmp

Before, download: wget -O /tmp/ramdisk-x86.rd http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/download/ramdisk-x86.rd

This helps me pinpoint my issues:
1) What is io? I kept getting complaints from the build script that it couldn't find io,
so I tried sticking in various paths to things called "io" to no avail. None of the io's
on my system have the signature /l4/pkg/io/config (though I understand this is just a possibility),
so which "io" am I looking for?
2) My qemu build is insufficient, so how do the instructions change building for an iso? Can I simply substitute
"grub2iso" for qemu"
3) What is the purpose of the ramdisk? Does this contain grub and all the boot information, or does it serve
some other purpose? Is it still necessary if building an iso?

Sorry for my noobishness here...please let me know if you need any clarification..

Thank you very much!
--Bryce