L4Android bootstrap errors

Matthias Lange mlange at sec.t-labs.tu-berlin.de
Mon Aug 29 20:32:59 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 08/28/2011 02:17 PM, giowck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get L4Android working on a BeagleBoard (rev. C4).
> After some minor issues, I finally managed to build L4Re, Fiasco.OC,
> L4Linux and L4Android successfully. Everything works great on my board,
> including L4Linux.
> But L4Android gives me some errors during the bootstrap:
>
> io      | Io service
> io      | L4Re[rm]: unhandled read page fault @40000c pc=102b4c8
> io      | L4Re: unhandled exception: pc=0x102b4c8
>
> Please see [1] for the full bootstrap (target: ARM beagleboard).

>From your boot log I can see that you are using the wrong devs file. You
need to create one matching the configuration of your BeagleBoard.
However you will have a hard time getting L4Android to run with only
128MB of RAM.

> To exclude some hardware related issues, I rebuilt L4Android with
> realview board (ARM) as target, in order to test it using qemu. This
> time, I get the following error:
>
> android | L4Re: unhandled exception: pc=0xa80001c8
>
> Please see [2] for the full bootstrap (target: ARM realview board).

Can you tell me what's at 0xa80001c8 in your L4Android kernel?

> Would be nice if someone could build L4Android for realview-b and tell
> me if it works in qemu. Maybe those errors are related to my newbieness :D
>
> Just another thing. On the L4Android Website, in the 'build diskimage'
> instructions, you write:
> "Next we need to modify the init.rc script. Mount the newly created
> image and locate the section where the system and data partition are to
> be mounted and replace the commands with the lines following the mount:"
>
> mount cramfs /l4bdds0 /system
> mount cramfs /l4bdds0 /system ro remount
> mount tmpfs tmpfs /data size=32M
>
> Then I saw that on your prebuilt root/system images for x86, the "on fs"
> section of the init.rc file is empty:

The original content has already been removed in that init script. You
just need to enter the lines mentioned on the website.

> on fs
> # mount mtd partitions
>
> So, i could not compare the section with mine, which looks the following:
>
> on fs
> # mount mtd partitions
> # Mount /system rw first to give the filesystem a chance to save a
> checkpoint
> #    mount yaffs2 mtd at system /system
> #    mount yaffs2 mtd at system /system ro remount
> #    mount yaffs2 mtd at userdata /data nosuid nodev
> mount cramfs /l4bdds0 /system
> mount cramfs /l4bdds0 /system ro remount
> mount tmpfs tmpfs /data size=32M
>
> mount yaffs2 mtd at cache /cache nosuid nodev #unchanged

You should remove the above line as well.

Br,
Matthias.