build error: No rule to make target crtendS.o

Wesley Miaw wesley at wesman.net
Sun Sep 11 19:48:57 CEST 2011

On Sep 11, 2011, at 3:00 AM, l4-hackers-request at os.inf.tu-dresden.de wrote:

> On Sat Sep 10, 2011 at 12:26:05 -0700, Wesley Miaw wrote:
>> I'm not getting any errors printed out on the console when I run the
>> ELF or RAW bootstrap binaries. It just prints out a line of garbage
>> (e.g. ? or other random characters). Then I have to hit the reset
>> button. This is
>
> You were mentioning a 'too many headers error' when compiling/linking
> with arm-none-linux-gnueabi which you seemed to not get with
> arm-none-eabi. I would like to understand what makes the difference in
> your setup and then see further.

Ah, I see. I don't know why I got that error originally when compiling L4, but I am no longer getting that error. Maybe I did something wrong (or remembering things incorrectly)--I see in the bootstrap linker script that it purposefully combines the data and bss sections with a comment that sounds like it is explicitly working around the problem of a regular linker script creating too many headers.

If I compile some other program I write myself to ELF, like a single file Hello World, using arm-none-linux-gnueabi then I get the too many headers error when the ARM Boot Manager tries to flash the ELF binary. Switching to arm-none-eabi and using the generic-hosted.ld linker script fixes this problem.

Thanks,
--
Wesley Miaw
wesley at wesman.net