clntsrv example capabilities

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Sat Sep 17 21:30:41 CEST 2011

On Fri Sep 16, 2011 at 16:59:44 -0700, Wesley Miaw wrote:
> I'm still trying to fully understand capabilities, and I guess maybe what
> I need to do is create a new capability of some sort, but I thought asking
> might help me understand better.
>
> Basically, I am trying to build an example like the clntsrv example, and
> the server.cc attempts to register itself. If that fails, it prints out an
> error message saying "Readonly namespace?". I guess this is because the
> namespace is still 'rom'.

The error message is misleading, it actually says:
Could not register my service, is there a 'calc_server' in the caps table?

So the calc_server hasn't been started with a 'calc_server' server
channel where the server could register. See the clntsrv.cfg on how this
is done.

> I tried understanding the contents of the various .cfg files but I'm
> afraid I'm still confused.

You used the clntsrv.cfg config for this example? There are comments in
there that (hopefully) explain how this is used.

Adam                 adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de