Object-Capabilities and Physical Memory Mapping

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Tue Oct 4 23:08:07 CEST 2011

On Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 10:29:11 +0200, François Goichon wrote:
> I have some questions regarding object-capabilities and physical
> memory mapping.
>
> - First of all, my goal is to manage and develop drivers on top of
> Fiasco. The documentation mentions the existence of an I/O server
> that does not seem to be on the repository anymore. Did I miss any
> announcement or is the I/O server in development?

It's there at l4/pkg/io

> - As I did not find this server, I tried to code drivers from
> scratch but fail to see how I can map physical addresses in the
> first place. With other L4 kernels I would expect to find a map
> system call which would provide such a mapping to a thread with
> sufficient capabilities. In your model however, it seems that
> object-capabilities on such operations are transmitted to sigma0
> only and that further mapping requests should go through sigma0. I
> actually lack any example on how to talk to sigma0 in the first
> place - what OC should I use as the first argument of
> l4sigma0_map_iomem().

You give it the cap to sigma0, but I won't go further, it's not supposed
to be used by apps.

> - I also fail to understand the actual meaning of the environment
> OCs "map region" and "mem alloc" and the actual operations they
> provide, along with the "classic capabilities" my thread has on
> physical addresses for instance. Moreover, is there any
> configuration step where I can modify/list those "classic
> capabilities" passed to the thread spawned by moe?

Ned is the component that loads programs and sets up their initial
environment, including caps. You cannot list them, but you do know them
because they are specified in the loader script. Programs generally do
not know anything about physical addresses or memory. The memory
allocator provides you with memory in the form of dataspaces. Those
dataspaces can be mapped into an address space. For device iomem io
also provides a dataspace that gives you access to the mmio region of
the devices the app is assigned to.

Adam                 adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de