gcc: symbol lookup error: ...libgendep.so: undefined symbol: dlsym

Wesley Miaw wesley at wesman.net
Thu Nov 3 01:32:39 CET 2011

Hi,

I saw someone ran into this same problem a couple of years ago but I
didn't see a solution posted. I just updated my OS to Ubuntu 11 and all of
a sudden I am hitting this error when I run make setup and target either
x86 or ARM.

gcc: symbol lookup error: ...libgendep.so: undefined symbol: dlsym

I see -ldl on the gcc line when building libgendep.so, but when I ldd
libgendep.so it only prints linux-gate.so.1, libc.so.6, and
/lib/ld-linux.so.2.

libdl.so.2 exists and is in my ld cache.

I am using gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro) 4.6.1.

Thanks,
--
Wesley Miaw