L4CON with client

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Sat Nov 5 13:24:55 CET 2011

On Fri Nov 04, 2011 at 11:01:54 +0100, Peter Hanzel wrote:
> I am trying L4Re with Fiasco.OC. I have successfuly build l4re-snapshot.
> Now I am trying to run examples. I am always building iso images
> with make grub2iso.
> Now I am editing .cfgs and .list files.
>
> I am trying to get working L4CON. The L4Con runs okay, saying:
> con     | Running. Video mode is 800x600 at 16.
> con     | Ready. Waiting for clients
>
> Now I suppose I need some client to work with L4CON.
> I have tried fbterminal, but it doesn't work. (Or i am missing
> something in .cfgs)
>
> I have added fbterminal to run after "con", but in logs it runs
> earlier ang log says:
> fbdrv   | Starting server loop
> mmag    | mapped frame buffer at 0x400000
> fbtermin| Could not bind event IRQ
>
> How can I achive to get some console with for example dash running?

Your configuration is having a few issues:
  - It is starting two 'screen-multiplexers': con and mag, just use
    one, which one does not matter, they are behaving the same.
  - 'fbdrv_fb' gives access to the real (physical) framebuffer, i.e.
    give it only to mag or con.
  - Do not give any vbus-cap to fbterminal, it does not need it.
  - To open a new console you need to create it, e.g. in the
    fbterminal's caps: fb = mag_caps.svc:create(L4.Proto.Goos, "g=640x480")
    (like in the original x86-fb.cfg)
I think a good starting point is to take the original x86-fb.cfg and
just replace the fb-spectrum program with fbterminal. Then maybe add a
second terminal or re-add the spectrum example. Then for example replace
mag with con (con just provides a single cap 'con').

Adam                 adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de