Start Linux inside a Vancouver VM using a virtual disk.
foxmehdi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 17:01:50 CET 2012
I was trying to run Linux inside a Vancouver virtual machine and using a
But, I got an error when Linux kernel try to mount the root file system.
I tested the Linux kernel and the virtual disk image using Qemu and it
I was also able to start the same Linux kernel on Vancouver but by
providing an initrd ramfs file.
Please see below the trace of the linux boot:
(5) # [ 23.652175] VFS: Cannot open root device "(null)" or
(5) # [ 23.652175] Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here
are the availa
(5) # | ble partitions:
(5) # [ 23.652175] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount
root fs on unkn
(5) # | own-block(0,0)
(5) # [ 23.652175] Pid: 1, comm: swapper/0 Tainted: G W
(5) # [ 23.652175] Call Trace:
(5) # [ 23.652175] [<c05f5299>] panic+0x66/0x173
(5) # [ 23.652175] [<c0849ca1>] mount_block_root+0x1d3/0x26c
(5) # [ 23.652175] [<c02311bc>] ? sys_mknod+0x2c/0x30
(5) # [ 23.656100] [<c0849d93>] mount_root+0x59/0x5f
(5) # [ 23.656100] [<c0849ee7>] prepare_namespace+0x14e/0x192
(5) # [ 23.656100] [<c0221665>] ? sys_access+0x25/0x30
(5) # [ 23.656100] [<c0849344>] kernel_init+0x13f/0x14e
(5) # [ 23.656100] [<c0849205>] ? parse_early_options+0x25/0x25
(5) # [ 23.656100] [<c05fe6c2>] kernel_thread_helper+0x6/0x10
and this is the script I used to run Vancouver and Linux :
WVDESC=Kernel compile inside VM (on virtual disk, EPT + VPID)
QEMU_FLAGS=-cpu phenom -m 2048M
bin/apps/sigma0.nul tracebuffer_verbose S0_DEFAULT hostserial hostvga
hostkeyb:0,0x60,1,12 script_start:1,1 \
service_config vdisk_empty:736870912 service_disk
sigma0::mem:512 sigma0::dma name::/s0/log name::/s0/timer name::/s0/fs/rom
name::/s0/admission name::/s0/disk disk::0 ||
rom://bin/apps/vancouver.nul PC_PS2 ahci:0xe0800000,14,0x30 drive:0,0,0 ||
rom://imgs/bzImage clocksource=tsc console=ttyS0 ||
Could someone tell me how to correct this error.
Or give me some hints to another solution to build a disk image.
I need a disk image in order to add some executable that I already
compiled on my host machine and to run these executable on the Linux
guest OS once it will start on Vancouver VM.
Thank you very much in advance for your help.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the l4-hackers