Source Code of the Monitoring Frameworks FERRET and HAECER

Marcus Hähnel mhaehnel at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Tue Jan 13 09:54:16 CET 2015

Hi Karl,

the haecer library can be found here:

tudos.org/~mhaehnel/haecer.tar.gz

it requires another lib called libdebug that provides MSR access for the
userland. This is purely a means of benchmarking and measurements as it
severely breaks security of the system because MSR accesses are NOT
filtered! The libdebug.tar.gz contains a kernel patch that needs to be
applied for passing through MSRs.

tudos.org/~mhaehnel/libdebug.tar.gz

Both packages have not been tested for quite some time and are likely
not to compile. They may also kill your kitten. Please use at your own
risk.

For interaction of haecer and ferret (which is optional) please refer to
the lib/src/Makefile in haecer which contains the relevant define
commented out.

Please not that while ferret is a generic monitoring framework haecer is
especially geared towards simplified access to performance counters. It
does not have the generic capabilities that ferret features.

I hope that this helps you!

Best regards,

- Marcus