L4Linux booting (KERNEL:no page fault handler)

Michael Hohmuth hohmuth at innocent.com
Mon Nov 23 20:06:54 CET 1998

Harald Fritzsche <Harald.Fritzsche at mpd.de> writes:

> Hello Hackers,
>
> as stated earlier my L4Linux boots up to VFS - mount.
>
> Than the execution of /sbin/init (linux/init/main.c) leads to
>
> wake_up_process: ipc_failed (7 or 8 times)

That's sort of normal -- we probably should remove this message from
L4Linux.

> and finally to
> KERNEL: no page fault handler for region: 0xeab2f800, error 0x0

This probably is a kernel bug.  Fiasco does a read at an invalid
virtual address.  If you boot with the "-nokdb" kernel option, you
should be able to get a register dump even even if you don't have
connected a remote Gdb.  This, together with the output of
"nm main | sort", could give you a hint about the reason of the crash.

> This error seems to be caused by /sbin/init
>
> I am using Linux SuSe 5.3 with init v 2.65 f (i hope it is correct).
> Which init do TUD prefer?

I don't think the version of `init' makes a difference here.  However,
I will send you the version details soon.  Right now I can't check
because my test machine is busy this week doing benchmarks... :-(  Is
anyone willing to donate another test machine?

Michael
hohmuth at innocent.com, hohmuth at sax.de
http://www.sax.de/~hohmuth/