Booting fiasco kernel on cyrix

Kazuto MIYOSHI kaz at earth.email.ne.jp
Sun Jul 11 07:32:06 CEST 1999

Hello.

I've been trying to boot fiasco kernel on my CYRIX MII machine
(I had believed that CYRIC has binary compatibility with Pentium.)

Booting from floppy image downloaded, it says

space.cc:193 failed assertion(size==PAGE_SIZE)...

and I found out that 'size' is actually SUPERPAGE_SIZE.

I suspect that there is a little bit differnce between CYRIX and
Pentium, with the ability to treat 4MB pages, and I tried to disable
superpage facility by changing cpu.feature_flags like this:

  // cpu info; need to do this before setting up page tables because
  // we need to know whether we can use 4MB pages.
  cpuid(&cpu);

#if 1
  cpu.feature_flags &= ~(CPUF_PAGE_GLOBAL_EXT|CPUF_4MB_PAGES);
#endif

  // the first thing to set up is the page-level allocator so that we
  // can allocate page tables from it
  kmem::init(mbi_pa);

This modification successfully generates "HELLO" message on console,
but after printing it, the same assertion still fails.

Does not fiasco run on CYRIX cpu at all (why?), or does anyone have
good idea to avoid this problem?

my environment:

fiasco-l4-990428.tar.gz	fiasco-l4-990428.patch-01
grub-l4-981207.tar.gz
oskit-l4-990428.tar.gz
grub-ext2fs-floppy