Question on "mappings as cache"

Espen Skoglund esk at ira.uka.de
Mon Dec 8 18:00:28 CET 2003

[Jonathan S Shapiro]
> Based on your description, I am now reasonably convinced that the L4
> operations are individually faster, but that the collective end to
> end protocol needed to resolve page faults when data spaces are
> involved may be significantly more complicated in L4 than it is in
> EROS. I suspect that the aggregate end to end costs in L4 are likely
> to be *slower* than EROS, but at best they are going to be very
> similar.

Let's try to summarize what needs to be done for resolving a page
fault using the data space model.

  1. Page fault is raised, execution traps into the kernel.
  2. Kernel translates the page fault into a page fault IPC.
  3. The kernel switches to the pager---the region mapper.  The region
     mapper resides in the same address space, so no address space
     switch needed.
  4. The region mapper translates the page fault into a region map
     access.
  5. The region mapper sends a request to the corresponding data space
     manager.  Note that the request is sent "deceiving" or
     "propegating", meaning that the address space manager can reply
     direcly to the faulting thread.
  6. The data space manager checks if the request is valid and
     translates the request to a map operation (this translation can
     be implemented very efficiently).
  7. The data space manager replies with a mapping to the faulting
     thread.
  8. The faulting thread resumes execution.

As you point out below, it would be possible to associate a separate
pager with different regions of virtual memory, but for reasons I
argue below, this reduces flexibility.

Anyhow, by associating a pager with separate memory regions we can
only avoid one (intra address space) IPC operation (step 3).  I'm not
convinced that this matters much in practice since page faults are
generally treated by the hardware as exceptions and incurs a
substantial overhead in the first place (pipeline flushing, various
synchronization when updating page tables, change of cache working
sets, etc.).  The performance numbers of the "data spaces" paper I
cited in the last mail substantiate these claims.

> Or perhaps the L4 design embeds a philosophical argument that
> resolving these things at user level is (a) feasible and (b) likely
> as efficient than any kernel implementation, and therefore should
> not be done in the kernel? If so, I understand the philosophical
> point, and I am not sure that I agree. In my mind, the answer
> depends on what gets the job done best on an end to end basis.

Yes, this philosophical argument does apply to the design decisions of
L4.

> Please note that I'm not advocating placing policy in the kernel
> here.  I'm wondering if there might be a better *mechanism* by which
> to express the user-desired policy.

We've found that the only mechanism that allows us to express the
user-desired policy is to perform all these policy decisions on
user-level.  For instance, the region mapper might suddenly choose to
delay all write accesses to a particular region map, e.g., to capture
a consistent snapshot of the region.  It can do this by revoking all
write accesses to the region, and if anyone tries to perform a write
operation it can delay the write operation until the snapshot has been
taken.

On a more general level the argument seems to stem down to whether the
kernel transparently handles exceptions or whether exceptions are
exposed to the application and handled in an application specific way.
Clearly, the L4 desgin favours the second approach.  I realize that
this approach may be unsatisfactory in certain situations, e.g., if
one for some reason needs to make the application unaware of external
communication.  This is one of the gripes I have with the current
versions of L4.

One solution to make exceptions transparent to applicaitons, while
still allowing policies to be defined on user-level could be to
disallow an application to change its pager/exception handler, thereby
making sure that the exception IPCs can not be seen by the
application.  Such a scheme would not really work with the current L4
specification because an application is always allowed to change its
pager/exception handler.  Even if we could make this restriction
about non-changeable pagers/exception handlers, the application could
still be able to intercept the exception IPCs by timely probing the
state of other threads in the address space and aborting ongoing
exception IPC operations.

	eSk