de-referencing l4lx linear addresses

Andrew Davenport gtg259m at mail.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 11 18:17:03 CEST 2005

Hi,

I had an idea I wanted to try out:  Taking the esp register from the task state,
then masking off the bits (basically perform the current() macro as the linux
kernel does) to obtain the address of the task_struct of the currently runnning
process.  I have a stripped down sched.h which contians the declaration of the
struct task_struct { ... } inside .../fiasco/src/kern (i am modifying
thread-ipc.cpp).  However, the compiler compains that "Struct task struct" is
undefined.

Thanks,
Andrew

Quoting Adam Lackorzynski <adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de>:

 On Fri Jul 08, 2005 at 15:31:45 -0400, Andrew Davenport wrote:
 > Thanks for all the previous help.  I was wondering: Suppose I have a
 filenumber
 > as a syscall param (from linux server) inside Thread::do_send() in l4.  I
 want
 > the inode number for that filenumber, how would I get that?  Also, how would
 > get a block list from an inode number?

 Inside the kernel? Not at all. That info buried somewhere in the memory
 of the Linux server. You have no realistic chance of getting that info
 in the kernel.

 Adam                 adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de