[Fwd: Re: TCP/IP between L4Linux and L4 task]

Bjoern Doebel doebel at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Thu May 11 11:48:21 CEST 2006

Hi,

> I have a question for some time - why not use flips as a simple gateway?
> Maybe it is better than configing the nic to promiscuous mode?

This is an option. However, we chose to implement packet switching at a
lower level.
Thereby we can also provide networking to applications that do not use a
TCP stack - see the arping client in l4/pkg/ore/examples/arping.
Furthermore clients do not need to rely on the complete FLIPS, but can
also use a minimal stack like the one coming along with ORe.

Besides, you are still able to implement your solution as FLIPS gateway
communicating with ORe.

Bjoern