launch benchmark

Davide Fasoli davide.caly at yahoo.it
Tue Sep 18 12:01:05 CEST 2007

> > How can I launch the benchmark in the L4 Fiasco console?
>
> What benchmark is that? What requirements does it have?
>  The benchmark is lmbench, bonnie++ and AIM-suite9

    Maybe what you say is my paper named "General Performance Assesement of the
L4/Fiasco Microkernel".  In this paper I use lmbench, bonnie++ and
AIM-suite9. But I don't use lmbench, bonnie++ and AIM-suite9 to test the
Fiasco itself but test the the performace loss between l4linux-2.6.16 and
linux-2.6.16.
    In this benchmark I login into l4linux with a console because in this way we
could ignore the effection of graphic interface for performance loss. It is
not complex but only a confiugration problem. If you want to login l4linux
with console you could use the configuration file like this:

modpath "(hd0,2)/boot/L4Linux"
task "vmlinuz26" "earlyprintk=yes console=ttyS1,115200 init=3 mem=256M"
root=/dev/hda3"
all_sects_writable

    Is this clear?
    Thanks.
                                            Cheng Guanghui

> > Where do I put the benchmark to use it in L4 Fiasco console?
I use this bootloader:
title Fiasco, Console, Loader, Tiny Shell (run)
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/fiasco_mod/bootstrap -modaddr 0x02000000
module /boot/fiasco_mod/fiasco -nowait  -serial_esc -comspeed 115200 -comport 1
module /boot/fiasco_mod/sigma0
module /boot/fiasco_mod/roottask task modname "bmodfs" attached 3 modules
module /boot/fiasco_mod/names
module /boot/fiasco_mod/log
module /boot/fiasco_mod/dm_phys
module /boot/fiasco_mod/l4io
module /boot/fiasco_mod/con -vbemode 0x117
module /boot/fiasco_mod/simple_ts -t 300
module /boot/fiasco_mod/bmodfs
module /boot/fiasco_mod/run
module /boot/fiasco_mod/libloader.s.so
module /boot/fiasco_mod/libld-l4.s.so
module /boot/fiasco_mod/loader --fprov=BMODFS run

I have to compare l4 with ecos. I want to use lmbench, bonnie++ and AIM-suite9, my questions are:
- How can I use those benchmarks when I boot Fiasco?
- Where can I put those benchmarks for use them when I boot Fiasco?